Monday, July 18, 2011

We made it to Colorado!

Yahoo! We are finally in the same state as the boys and my parents. After a 10 hour journey, we made it to Colorado and are staying just outside of Denver in Aurora.

How the day began...
Well I laughed while in line at breakfast when David spilled the cereal out of the automatic dispenser, and it went all over the counter at the hotel's continental breakfast bar. I thought, "Oh, my, if this is any indication of how our day is going to go...I want to start over!" Anyway, never fear, that was the only "mishap" of the day. We really had a great day of traveling across the state of Kansas and into Colorado.

We left Kanasas City shortly after 8 am (CST) and made our first stop at Lawrence, KS where the University of Kansas is located. Much to David's disappointment, the Allen Field House (home of 5x basketball national champions) was totally locked down to visitors. They even had writing imprinted on the glass explaining this. Next we searched for Memorial Stadium and had a long journey throughout the hilly campus. Finally we found it, and it too was locked down. Well, better luck next time.

Off to cross the Heartland of America! Kansas really was a beautiful state. We were both surprised at the hills throughout the east side of the state. There were so many corn fields, but also wheat fields and wind farms. Those wind mills were amazing! (Are they even called wind mills anymore...maybe wind turbines?)

Our lunch stop was at a local BBQ restaurant in Salina, KS, Hickory Hut BBQ. It has won many BBQ awards, and we can see why. It was delicious!

And the journey continued...we followed the map on our iPad to see all of the small towns we were traveling through and before we knew it, we were in Colorado. That might have gone faster for me because I dozed off some during this time. I am still pretty tired and nauseated these days.

After checking into the hotel, we decided to brave another Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives restaurant. We trekked across Aurora to find a true diner, Sam No. 3. Dave had a meatloaf melt, and I had scrambled eggs, corned beef hash (it has been YEARS since I've eaten this), and fresh fruit. As always with triple D places, we were not disappointed.
I thought I had an early evening to bed, while David went to excercise again (Go Dave!), but Jonathan called just as I was going to sleep. He was so excited that his cousins arrived at the campground, and he went on to talk about trains that he saw on his trip and an awesome waterside he went on yesterday with Ben and Grandpa. So glad they are having fun and can't wait to join them in Ouray on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Finally it let me comment! O.k. Your food posts are totally making me hungry! Looks fabulous. John said that the purple drink was weird and you were the only white person in that one restaurant. He said thanks for the shout out!Kathryn

    ReplyDelete